Buddhism history facts
Buddhism - Funny & Not-so-Funny Facts-:
- Buddhism word is derived from Hindi word Budhi, which means WISDOM. In that sense Buddha means wise man.
- Buddhism founder was Mahatma Budh (Mahatma is a Hindi word & means "Great Soul").
- Mahatma Budh original name was Siddharth. He was a prince, but he left his home to find following answers - Why there is much sorrow & pain in the world? Why people get old & die? How a man can get rid of his sorrows & pains?.
- When Mahatma Budh was a child (Siddharth), they say that few sages had told his father that this little boy would either become a great king or a great sage.Mahatma Budh's father wanted his son to become a king like himself, so he tried to keep him away from all the negative things in the world, which could affect young child's brain e.g. no sick, old or poor person was allowed to come in sight of Siddharth .It was later on when young Budh started visiting the surroundings, he came across these things
- In initial days, a Buddist monk was not supposed to cook food, he could only ask for food in alms.Purpose was to spend all the time in spreading awareness about Buddhism.
- This religion is unlike any other religion. They do not believe in gods. They believe in kindness and life after death. If you live a good life, you will have a better life in the next life and it will build up good Karma. If you live a bad life, you will have bad Karma the next life.
- Buddhists go to temple, not at a special time or day, but when they can.
- Nuns - women can hold a position as a nun.
- Nuns are not allowed to criticize monks but monks are allowed to criticize nuns.
- Although Buddhism originated in India, but now there are almost no followers .It is more widely spread in Thailand, Japan, China .
- More than 50% of Buddhism Teachings are part of Hinduism, the most popular religion in India.
- If you visit a monastery, you would find big Prayer Wheels inside it or lot of people carrying Prayer Wheels in their hands. There are certain religious messages written all over these wheels & devotees keep rotating these wheels . These depict a cycle of life for a soul (life-death-life)in Buddhist culture & one can get rid of cycle of .life by chanting these religious messages & by leading a pious life
- The "Smiling Buddha" in Chinese restaurants is not a statue of the Buddha, rather it is Hotei a Budai from Chinese folklore.
- Flowers used in Buddhist worship signal that life of a human is not permanent but short lived like the life of a flower, so a human should spread happiness like flowers.
- Buddha was not a fat man - his lifestyle of moderation in eating and walking about teaching would have made him fit not fat
- A Buddhist should eat whatever food is given to him, but should never ask for an animal to be slaughtered for his meal.
- At the core of Buddhism, there are Four Noble Truths: (1) All living beings suffer; (2) The origin of these sufferings are desire i.e. wanting more (3) Desires can be overcome and (4) There is a path which can lead to release from desires. This path is known as the Noble Eightfold Path: Right Views, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Concentration and Right Ecstasy.
See free School Science - education videos by clicking here Science Learning for 6-12 years old kids
You might also like
What's being said on facebook.com/southchinamorningpost — South China Morning Post
Michael Tkaczevski - Wasn't the whole point of escaping the communists' violence and oppression to preserve Tibetan Buddhism's history and teachings? Isn't letting the Dalai Lama end with the 14th effectively killing a part of the tradition? Glenys Day ..