Buddhism Christianity differences
Since so many American adults are converting from Christianity to Buddhism, it may be useful to compare the two.
We define as "Christian" any person or group who thoughtfully, sincerely, prayerfully regard themselves as Christian. This is the definition that pollsters and the census offices of many countries use. It includes as Christians the full range of faith groups who consider themselves to be Christians, including Assemblies of God members, Presbyterians, Roman Catholics, Southern Baptists, United Church members, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, etc. Many Christians have a much less inclusive definition of the term "Christian" and specifically exclude many faith groups from this list.
Beliefs not shared:
Buddhists do not share most of the core beliefs of historical Christianity and many of the less critical beliefs accepted by some Christians. Buddhism does teach:
- Original sin shared by all present-day humans, derived from Adam and Eve.
- The need for a sinless personal savior whose execution enabled individual salvation through atonement.
- A god-man savior who was born of a virgin, executed, resurrected and ascended to heaven.
- Salvation achieved:
- Through good works (a common liberal Christian belief) or
- Specific actions and beliefs (as in repenting of one's sin and trusting Jesus as Lord and savior as taught by many conservative Protestant faith groups) or
- Sacraments (e.g. the ritual of baptism within the Roman Catholic Church, followed by confession later in life).
- Most Christians believe in the soul: the essence of a person that lives on, unchanged, after death for all eternity. Buddhists have no such belief.
- Return of a savior to earth at some time in the future.
- An end of the world as we know it, in the near future with a war of Armageddon and the genocide of over two billion people...
What's The Faith-Based Reason For Asking Teachers To Perform Miracles? — Huffington Post Canada
I have previously appealed to B.C. Liberals of conscience to help us to get a fair deal for our public education system.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama has been denied a visa to South Africa — Examiner.com
There has been a great deal of concern among Buddhists about the policies of South Africa in dealing with His Holiness the Dalai Lama. The Christian Science Monitor reported on Sept. 4, 2014 his visa request to visit South Africa has been denied again.
Calm space: Covington Twp. couple's garden creates air of serenity, offers .. — Scranton Times-Tribune
With its abundant perennials, partitioned sections, nods to Buddhism and Christianity and frequent — and welcome — animal visits, there's plenty to take in and admire on the sprawling Covington Twp. property Mrs.
What are the differences between Buddhism and Christianity?
Buddhism and Christianity both focus on the same "Central" mystical truths BUT from a wider view of faith there are important etc